Are you feeling bored? Or looking for some great movie recommendations! Well, if so, then you have come to just the right place. Here, I have handpicked some of the most inspirational movies to watch in the free time that you will remember forever. So, without further ado, let’s get right into business.
1. The Untouchables- 1987
The Untouchables movie was released in 1987. It is a crime thriller and depicts the fight against corruption. It won 1 Oscar award and numerous nominations. Apart from a wonderful plot and superb direction, this movie is loaded with a great many inspirational dialogues. These dialogues remain in your head long after watching the movie. Here, have a taste of some of these.
• “Life goes on. A man becomes preeminent, he’s expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms… Enthusiasms… What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? [grabs a baseball bat] Baseball! A man stands alone at the plate. This is the time for what? For individual achievement. There he stands alone. But in the field, what? Part of a team. Teamwork…. Looks, throws, catches, hustles – part of one big team.”
• “I have foresworn myself. I have broken every law I have sworn to uphold, I have become what I beheld and I am content that I have done right!”
2. Forest Gump-1994
Forrest Gump came and stayed in our hearts forever. The sweet, sensible, but slow character played by Tom Hanks inspired millions all around the world. This is one of the greatest inspirational movies to watch in free time. It won the Best Picture of the Year award along with 13 Oscar nominations.
Here are some fun and interesting dialogues of Forrest Gump. You can learn a lot from them.
• “My mama always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.’”
• “My Mama always said you’ve got to put the past behind you before you can move on.”
• “That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I’d run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I’d just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I’d just run across the great state of Alabama. And that’s what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I’d gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I’d gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going.”
• “One day it started raining, and it didn’t quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin’ rain… and big ol’ fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night…”
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- 2004
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a masterpiece of art. It beautifully portrays the sensitivities of the human mind while depicting its strength as well. It is a must-watch, for one if you love Kate Winslet, and surely if you want to watch something uplifting. Here, I have handpicked some of its dialogues that I really liked.
• “I’m always anxious, thinking I’m not living my life to the fullest, taking advantage of every possibility, make sure I’m not wasting one second of the little time I have.”
• “Too many guys think I’m a concept, or I complete them, or I’m gonna make them alive. But I’m just a f*cked-up girl who’s lookin’ for my own peace of mind; don’t assign me yours.”
• “I thought I knew her so well, but I don’t know her at all. What a loss to spend that much time with someone, only to find out that she’s a stranger.”
4. The Legend of 1900- 1998
The Legend of 1900 is an Italian drama film. This film was conceived on the monologue by Alessandro Baricco. This film won numerous awards and nominations. It is such an inspirational and motivational movie concerning the social and political norm. The following are some of its best dialogues.
• “You rolled out in front of me a keyboard of millions of keys, millions and billions of keys that never end. And that’s the truth Max, that they never end. That keyboard is infinite… and if that keyboard is infinite, then on that keyboard there is no music you can play. You’re sitting on the wrong bench…. That is God’s piano.”
• “I often thought about him during the war; if only 1900 were here, who knows what he’d do, what he’d say. ‘F*** war’ he’d say, but somehow, coming from me it wasn’t the same.”
• “Take piano: keys begin, keys end. You know there are 88 of them. Nobody can tell you any different. They are not infinite. You’re infinite…. And on those keys, the music that you can make… is infinite. I like that. That I can live by….”
5. Cinderella Man- 2005
Cinderella Man, starring Russell Crowe, Renée Zellweger and Paul Giamatti revolves around the life of a boxer. The film beautifully depicts the highs and lows of the man’s life and how a single life can impact hundreds of people around him. This movie is truly among the most inspirational movies to watch in free time. I love all of its storylines, but the following dialogues are my most favorite ones,
• “Maybe I understand, some, about having to fight. So you just remember who you are… you’re the Bulldog of Bergen, and the Pride of New Jersey, you’re everybody’s hope, and the kids’ hero and you are the champion of my heart, James J. Braddock.”
• “You think you’re telling me something? Like, what, boxing is dangerous, something like that? You don’t think working triple shifts and at night on a scaffold isn’t just as likely to get a man killed? What about all those guys who died last week living in cardboard shacks to save on rent money just to feed their family, ’cause guys like you have not quite figured out a way yet to make money off of watching that guy die? But in my profession – and it is my profession – I’m a little more fortunate.”
6. Life of Pi- 2012
Life of Pi is a must-watch for everyone. This surely comes in every list of inspirational movies to watch in free time. The whole movie
• “Doubt is useful, it keeps faith a living thing. After all, you cannot know the strength of your faith until it is tested.”
• “I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say good-bye. It’s important in life to conclude things properly. Only then can you let go. Otherwise, you are left with words you should have said but never did, and your heart is heavy with remorse.”
• “Let’s see then, where to begin? I was born and raised in one of the most beautiful places on earth. It was a time filled with wonder that I’ll always remember. But when my family chose to move out of zoo halfway around the world, that is when my greatest journey began.”
7. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly- 2007
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is an exceptionally marvelous movie. You will fall in love with everything about this movie right away. This is deep, emotional, and dramatic to its core. Here are a few of its amazing dialogues.
• “I’ve decided to stop pitying myself. Other than my eye, two things aren’t paralyzed. My imagination, and my memory.”
• ” We’re all children, we all need approval.”
• “A poet once said, “Only a fool laughs when nothing’s funny”
• “Hold fast to the human inside of you, and you’ll survive.”
8. The Imitation Game- 2014
This is one of the most amazingly inspirational movies to watch in free time. The Imitation Game is a period drama film. It is written by Graham Moore and directed by Morten Tydlum. The story of the movie revolves around the dialogue “Can a machine think?”. Here is a glimpse of its brilliant dialogues.
• “Do you know why people like violence? It is because it feels good. Humans find violence deeply satisfying. But remove the satisfaction, and the act becomes… hollow.”
• “Advice about keeping secrets: it’s a lot easier if you don’t know them in the first place.”
• “Of course machines can’t think as people do. A machine is different from a person. Hence, they think differently. The interesting question is, just because something, uh… thinks differently from you, does that mean it’s not thinking? Well, we allow for humans to have such divergences from one another. You like strawberries, I hate ice-skating, you cry at sad films, I am allergic to pollen. What is the point of… different tastes, different… preferences, if not, to say that our brains work differently, that we think differently? And if we can say that about one another, then why can’t we say the same thing for brains… built of copper and wire, steel?”
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest- 1975
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is based on the same-named novel published in 162 and written by Ken Kesey. The film is set in a mental institution and is filled with a number of a great many stories and dialogues from each character. Let’s take a look at some of its dialogues.
• Randle Patrick McMurphy: Chief, just jump up, and put it in the basket. Jump and put it in the basket. No, not you Machini.
• Randle Patrick McMurphy: You guys complain how much you hate it here, and then don’t even have the guts to leave! You’re all crazy!
• Dr. John Spivey: Do you think there’s anything wrong with your mind really?
Randle McMurphy: Not a thing, doc. I’m a goddamn marvel of modern science.
10. The Pianist- 2002
The Pianist is another incredible pick among the inspirational movies to watch in free time. This is such an amazingly directed and played movie that grabs your attention right away. This movie gives you a glimpse of the holocaust and its devastations humanity.
• Wladyslaw Szpilman: I don’t know how to thank you.
Captain Wilm Hosenfeld: Thank God, not me. He wants us to survive. Well, that’s what we have to believe.
• Wladyslaw Szpilman: They bombed us, we’re off the air.
Henryk Szpilman: Warsaw’s not the only radio station.
• Wladyslaw Szpilman: I’m not going anywhere.
Halina: Good. I’m not going anywhere either.
Mother: Don’t be ridiculous, we’ve got to keep together.
Wladyslaw Szpilman: Look, look… If I’m going to die, I prefer to die in my own home. I’m staying put.
• Dorota: I nagged Jurek for weeks and weeks, and at last he gave in and said, “Allright, come with me tomorrow.” So I came and… they bombed the station!
Meeting you like that was absolutely wonderful.
Wladyslaw Szpilman: Yes. It was… it was unforgettable.
• Henryk Szpilman: I thought you only recruited boys with rich fathers. Look at my father, look at us.
Itzak Heller: Yes, I’m looking at you, and that’s why I’m here. Your whole family can have a better life. You want to go on struggling for survival, selling books on the street?
Henryk Szpilman: Yes, please.
11. A Beautiful Mind- 2001
A Beautiful Mind is an incredible movie. The lead character played by Russell Crowe is a genius but has the problem of seeing things that are not visible or exist. The whole plot of the movie slowly but steadily grasps the viewer into its magic.
• “- John Nash: This is a group playing touch football. This is a flock of pigeons fighting over bread crumbs. And this is a woman chasing a man who stole her purse.
– Charles: John, you watched a mugging. That’s weird.”
• “It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any logic or reasons can be found.”
• “- Alicia Nash: The problem you left on the board, I solved it.
– John Nash: No, you didn’t.
– Alicia Nash: You didn’t even look!
– John Nash: I never said the vector fields were rational functions… your solution is elegant, though ultimately incorrect.”
• “- John Nash: She’s so small.
– Charles: Well, she’s young, John. That’s how they come.”
• “I don’t exactly know what I am required to say in order for you to have intercourse with me. But could we assume that I said all that? I mean essentially we are talking about fluid exchange right? So could we go just straight to the sex?”
12. The Pursuit of Happyness- 2006
The Pursuit of Happyness is another great entry into this list of inspirational movies to watch in free time. This movie is based on the real-life experiences of a struggling salesman who elevated to the heights of success with his determination, hard work, and resolve. The main character of this movie is played by Will Smith, who charmed the audience with his brilliance. Here are some of the great quotes from this movie.
• “Chris Gardner: “You know how mountains get moved? Everyone who can move a couple, move a couple. Those who can move rocks, move rocks. Those who can move boulders, move boulders. That’s how mountains get moved. If every one of us did everything we could, I believe we would be in a different world.”
• Chris Gardner: “Don’t ever let someone tell you, you can’t do something. Not even me. You got a dream, you got to protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they want to tell you you can’t do it. You want something, go get it. Period.”
• Chris Gardner: “Still a dreamer, yet more of a realist than ever before, I knew this was my time to sail. On the horizon I saw the shining future, as before. The difference now was that I felt the wind at my back. I was ready.”
• Chris Gardner: “Walk that walk and go forward all the time. Don’t just talk that talk, walk it and go forward. Also, the walk didn’t have to be long strides; baby steps counted too. Go forward.”
• Chris Gardner: “It was right then that I started thinking about Thomas Jefferson on the Declaration of Independence and the part about our right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And I remember thinking how did he know to put the pursuit part in there? That maybe happiness is something that we can only pursue and maybe we can actually never have it. No matter what. How did he know that?”
13. Good Will Hunting- 1997
Good Will Hunting is a feel-good movie that delivers loads of messages in a lighthearted manner. Here are a few of its most amazing dialogues!
• “Skylar: My father died when I was thirteen and I inherited this money. Did you ever think that every day I wake up, that I wish I could give it back, that I would give it back in a second, if it meant I could have one more day with him? But I can’t. And that’s my life and I deal with it.”
• “Chuckie: Look, you’re my best friend, so don’t take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you’re still livin’ here, comin’ over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin’ construction, I’ll f***in’ kill you. That’s not a threat. Now, that’s a fact. I’ll f***in’ kill you.”
• “Will: Oh, come on! What? Why is it always this? I mean, I f***in’ owe it to myself to do this or that. What if I don’t want to?
Chuckie: No. No, no no no. F*** you, you don’t owe it to yourself man, you owe it to me, ’cause tomorrow I’m gonna wake up and I’ll be 50, and I’ll still be doin’ this shit. And that’s all right. That’s fine. I mean, you’re sittin’ on a winnin’ lottery ticket. You’re too much of a pussy to cash it in, and that’s bullshit. ‘Cause I’d do f***in’ anything to have what you got. So would any of these f***in’ guys. It’d be an insult to watch if you’re still here in 20 years. Hangin’ around here is a f***in’ waste of your time.”
14. Dead Poets Society- 1989
Dead Poet Society is an American drama movie starring Robin Williams. Robbin Williams played an English teacher and inspired young students with his different take on life, education, and everything around. Read the following lined by the lead character and you would want to see the movie right away.
• “We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”
• “There’s a time for daring and there’s a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.”
There you go! We truly hope that you love this list of inspirational movies to watch in your free time. And must have picked a couple of movies from the list to watch right away! See you next time with some other exciting read. Have Fun!